Behind the Wings®
The Podcast – Episode 7
Hap Arnold’s grandson share’s an inside look into the life of the “Father of the Air Force”.
Listen Anywhere! Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts
- Hap learned to fly in the Wright Brothers ground school and became one of the first military pilots worldwide.
- Hap grounds himself after a near death experience in a Wright Model C flying the first ever aerial spotting of artillery during an accelerated stall.
- After testifying for Billy Mitchell and leaking information to the press, Hap and his family are forced to decamp for Fort Riley Kansas after Mason Patrick refuses Haps own request to court marshal himself after getting caught.
- He directed the expansion of the US Air Force upon entry into WWII to create the most powerful air force in the world.
- Hap Arnold was the only officer to hold a five-star rank in two different US military services, the United States Army Air Forces and the United States Air Force
Listen for an exclusive offer for new Wings Members! Become A Member
Support Behind the Wings by making a financial contribution to Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum’s Annual Fund! wingsmuseum.org/give
- HENRY. H. ARNOLD > Air Force > Biography Display (af.mil)
- Gen. Henry H. “Hap” Arnold > National Museum of the United States Air Force™ > Display (af.mil)
- Here’s why Hap Arnold, a practical visionary, became the ‘father of the Air Force’ (airforcetimes.com)
- Become A Member | Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum (wingsmuseum.org)
Want more Behind the Wings?
Peek into the cockpits of rare warbirds and spacecraft, hear from aerospace experts and more in our episodic documentary series!Learn more