Drone Pilot Pathway
Introduction to Drones (Ages 15 to adult)
All students will have the opportunity to learn basic terms and nomenclature, basic construction and programming.
- Assembly and programming of a custom-built carbon fiber racing drone (includes all components – transmitter, receiver, battery, etc). Students will be able to keep the drone pending passage of the FAA Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft System exam (Step 03).
- Instruction on earning the FAA Trust Certificate
- Attainment of Academy of Model Aeronautics certification for insurance for recreational UAS pilots.
- Safe battery charging procedures
- Transmitter programming and alignment with drone
- Learn to play Drone Soccer
Drone Flight Training
After completion of the Introductory Drone Class, students will be immersed in Visual Line of Sight Drone (VLOS) Flight Training.
- Drone flight will be taught using visual cues and challenged to specific routes on a given course.
- Multiple situations will be presented in real-life situations in order for students to be able to fly in the absence of a GPS signal.
- Students will train to manage emergency situations.
Part 107 Exam Preparation
Once Step 1 and 2 have been accomplished, students are ready for preparation to pass the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft System exam.
- Instruction on the multiple topics needed to pass the FAA test, including:
- Rules and Regulations
- Load and performance
- Crew Resource Management
- Airport Field Operations
- Radio Communications
- Emergency Procedures
- Preflight and Maintenance
- Waiver Requests
- Final Exam
Making a living as a Drone Pilot
Learn to use drones for photogrammetry (mapping), cinematography, real estate, power line inspection, agriculture, law enforcement, search and rescue, firefighting, and military applications.
- Camera usage
- Photogrammetry software
- 3D mapping
- Advanced LOS flying
- Having fun with your new career
What’s Included in the Program:
- Wings will pay for 1/2 of the cost of the Part 107 FAA Exam (approx $90 value)
- Carbon-Fiber Racing Drone* (worth over $400)
- Personal Drone Soccer ball
*Carbon-fiber racing drone included on the condition of passing the FAA Part 107 Certificate. If a student does not pass the FAA exam, they are welcome to re-test at their own expense. Student will return drone if exam is not passed.