Behind the Wings ®
The Podcast – S3, Episode 22
Join us as we talk with Col. Kim “KC” Campbell and how she landed the A-10 Warthog manually.
Listen Anywhere! Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts
This episode will dive into the story of Kim “KC” Campbell, one of the few pilots ever to land the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II “Warthog” manually. Kim is a graduate from the United States Air Force Academy. She has flown 1,800 hours in the A-10 Warthog and more than 100 combat missions including in Iraq and Afghanistan. In 2003, Kim received the Distinguished Flying Cross for Heroism, as she skillfully recovered her battle-damaged aircraft following an intense close air support mission in Baghdad. Campbell has since retired from the Air Force and now is a guest professor, speaker, and bestselling author. She shares with us her pathway to becoming an A-10 pilot, and lessons she’s learned from the cockpit. THIS is going to be cool!
- Kim served for 24 years before retirement, holding positions such as a fighter pilot, Deputy Chief and then Chief of the A-10 Operational Training Development Team, Commander of the 355th Operations Support Squadron, Military Assistant to the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, and more.
- Kim and her father both graduated from the Air Force Academy at the highest rank of Cadet Wing Commander, making them the first father daugther duo to hold that accolade.
- At the time, only a handful of pilots had ever tried to land the A-10 Warthog manually.
- Kim later was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for her bravery and airmanship while flying the A-10.
- Campbell is now retired and has started her new career of speaker, coach, and author, telling stories about her lessons from the cockpit and how they can be used in every day life.
- Kim’s book, Flying in the Face of Fear, tells several stories about the missions she was on and how they can be used as learning tools for businesses and employees.
Want more Behind the Wings?
Peek into the cockpits of rare warbirds and spacecraft, hear from aerospace experts and more in our episodic documentary series!Learn more